Sunday, November 29, 2009

And Summer's lease hath all too short a date...

Summer is my absolute favourite time of year. I love everything about it. Summer has the best smells (fresh cut lawn on a hot day, frangipanis wafting from the neighbours garden, the earthiness of hot ground cooling in the evening shade). It has by far the best activities: Swimming and sunbathing, BBQ's and Picnics, waterfights and evening parties outside.
And then there's the food. If I could live perpetually on one particular season's food it would, without a doubt be summer's. Mangos, Pineapples, cherries, and melons! Fresh seafood and zingy salads. Sorbets, icecreams, frozen fruit slushies! I remember as a child sitting in the sand out front of our holiday rental, watching the boats drift by, feeling the sticky, salty breeze on my sunburnt skin, and licking up every last drop of sweet mango juice dripping down my arm as I devoured the fruit ravenously. Even now nothing says summer like an icy mango and a scoop of good vanilla icecream. 
From the food of summer comes the Christmases I love the best. Sitting in the scorching heat watching the soft marshmellow clouds tumble through the sky. Water fights and backyard cricket. Electrical storms terrorizing the dogs and children and sending shivers down my back.  Pelting rain and hail hitting the hot dust and sending earthy, sweet smells into the air, followed by the fresh, clean scent of wet grass.
Cicadas singing, frogs croaking, even the mozzies buzzing and biting has a certain charm at the end of the day. And as I lay in bed listening to the sound of the split-splot on the tin roof I smile and thank God for every sound, smell and taste summer hath brought.

No comments:

Post a Comment